Monday, October 5, 2009

A Trip To Callaway Gardens

My parents and I went to Callaway Gardens last Saturday. IT was my first time ever going to the gardens and my dad's also. My mom had gone when she was a little girl. We had so much fun exploring the gardens and being inspired by the natural and artificial beauty in the gardens. We went to the birds of prey show and I learned lots of things that I had never known about some of God's most interesting winged creations. Like how the owls' eyes are not spheres but are light bulb shaped and that we see the smallest part of their eyes. That is why they can't move their eyes and they have to move their heads instead. Another fact about owls' is that their ears are not symmetrical. One ear is higher on its head than the other. This gives the owl a kind of surround sound. We also participated in a scavenger hunt in the backyard habitat part of the gardens. The backyard habitat is full of fun facts about how to create your own certified backyard habitat for wildlife and I learned about the 4 things that make up a good habitat. Food, water, cover, and a place to raise young. Another thing that we did was go and see the vegetable garden there. In the garden we told time by a human sun dial, potted a parsley plant that I got to take home, and did a leaf pounding. The thing that I think was the most fun though was going to the butterfly atrium. The butterfly atrium is a big glass building that they keep at about 98 degrees. It's filled with all kinds of tropical butterflies and everything a butterfly could ever want. You get to walk with the butterflies and sometimes a butterfly will land on you. You could also watch all kinds of butterflies hatch out of their chrysalises in another part of the building. I really enjoyed the entire experience and I recommend going if you want a fun way to come closer to God's creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...