Friday, September 25, 2009

The County Fair

My dad and I went to the fair last night. It's become a tradition that we go every year. The strange thing about county fairs is they can be characterized by five things you normally try to avoid. One, Screaming. Two, Manure. Three, Grease. Four, Ex-cons (or current ones). Five, Dishonesty. I for one enjoy the fair either despite or possibly because of these things. I don't like to ride the rides they have so, instead I watch other poor souls climb aboard the death traps. We usually stand far enough away not to be sprayed with puke or carnage. I always look for the "Oh Crud" moment. First you see everyone excited and happy in line. Then and they take their seats and are strapped in by the con- I mean machine operator their excitement begins to wane and the were happy conversations turn to nervous chatter. And the moment before the operator throws the switch their faces turn a shade or two lighter and there is no more talking unless they're begging to get off (On one ride we watched this teenager at the last moment cried out that she wanted her mom but it was too late and the machine began its course.). On the ride everyone screams, believes that the car they're in is going to fly off the tracks, and I'm sure a few have found Jesus on one of those terrifying rides. I stand contentedly on the ground through all of this and smile and wave to the survivors as they disembark. But now we shall move on. The manure from the show cows and pony ride ponies doesn't really bother me because I have horses and I guess I've built up an immunity to the smell but I listed it because I know that it must bother some people. You can smell the grease from a half a mile away. It may be hazard to your health and come from the unknown but the greasy, fried things they stuff down your throat at the fair are worth the risk I suppose. A corn dog and french fries are about the healthiest main course you can find. And if you have a "hankering" for anything battered and deep fried (Or if you wish to have heart attack with every bite) you can find the food for you at the fair. The list includes deep fried candy bars, dough, cheese cake, and even the butter is battered and fried. I won't talk about the convicts any more. And I will not talk about the freak shows because I don't go through those. Just seeing the posters for the people and animals they display (or in my opinion exploit) make me sad and sick to my stomach. Have you ever noticed that almost no one ever wins the games at the fair? I'll point out one in particular that is especially crooked. The basket ball hoop game. The hoop is the key to the charade. It's not a round, regulation hoop. It's oval in shape. But when you see it from the angle they place you at it appears to be totally normal. It is not impossible to score you just have to be alot more acurate. It must be a "nothing but net" shot. I admit that I still enjoy the fair but mostly because of its more understated activities like looking at the exhibits, 4-H petting zoo, looking at all of the winning fair entries, and watching the cattle or sheep shows. I hope that you have a great time the next time you're at the fair and tell me what your favorite fair food is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...