Friday, September 11, 2009

Music

I love music, though probably not with the passion that some people I know do. In this department of expression I have varying tastes. Even though most if not all of my music falls under the "Christian" genre the styles can be very different. From the bubbly techno of Owl City to the rock sound of Skillet to the punk pop of Hawk Nelson and many other artists and bands between. But what does God have to say about music? the Bible actually has a lot to say about music in specific and there are also other verses to help us with our choice of music. Exodus 15:2 says, "The LORD is my strength and my song..." Plus seeing as god made us to love him and glorify him shouldn't the music we make and listen to do the same? When I', shopping for music I find it helpful to keep Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things." Are the lyrics I'm listening to telling me the truth? Are they noble? Is listening to is the right thing to do? Is the sound of it lovely? Is it admirable? Is it excellent and praiseworthy in the eyes of the LORD? I am personally trying to hold all of my music choices to such a standard. I'm not putting down other peoples styles of music. I am just saying that in my opinion the old saying "You are what you eat." applies to music. If I subject my mind and emotions to "angry" or "sad" music for the majority of the time it will begin to effect my emotions. Soon I'll be angrier or more sad inside and I don't want that to happen to me. When I listen to music I want it to be singing praises to God, lifting my spirits, or causing me to dwell on God's beautiful creation. A last thought to remember is that God loves the music we make. He loves the individuality and creativity that he instilled in us. So, we should use it. He has given us plenty of inspiration (for examples please see: The account of creation, other books of the Bible, Psalms, stars, eyes, skin, bones, the way the human brain works, animals, spiders, grass, flowers, etc.) Go and use the gifts that God has given you and see what great things will happen. I encourage you to comment, add to this, criticize this post, or share personal experiences related to this by commenting.

2 comments:

  1. Beth, I agree with everything you have said about music. What we hear and what we see affects us especially young children...so parents and everyone needs to be careful what they expose their brain to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you agree! I am thinking about turning this into a 3 post project kind of. Music first, Movies second, and Books third. what do you think of the idea?

    P.S. You commented anonymously so it would be great if you would comment again so that I know who I'm talking to.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...