Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Horseback Prayer

Every time I find myself on the back of a horse I realize how blessed I am. I'm thankful and I am suddenly filled with prayer. My prayers usually begin by thanking God for the horse I'm riding, the opportunities He has given me, and for His wonderful creation. If you want to see a really great example of God's handiwork take a look at a horse. I'm filled with awe by the fact that I can even touch -let alone ride- a horse. A horse is 800 to 1200 pounds of muscle. But look closer and you will see that they balance themselves perfectly on four comparatively tiny and delicate legs which are founded on amazing hooves. The fact that God allows us to have dominion over such majestic creatures is awesome. When I ride bareback and can feel the muscles rippling as we ride and I feel the wind in my hair I think about just how cool the relationship between me and my horse is. You could also look at the unbroken horse and compare it to yourself. You are the horse and Jesus is the trainer. The trainer goes to the auctions and sees a distrusting and abused horse in the barn. One buyer wants to buy the horse for slaughter to make a quick buck but the trainer decides he'll buy that horse whatever the price to give him the opportunity to choose life rather than death. He bids and bids and pays all he has. When the trainer goes to get the horse from the field the horse runs away. Once caught the horse fights to get away but the trainer is strong and doesn't let go. The trainer takes the horse to the ring and lunges him (runs the horse in circles basically). At first the horse is looking out of the ring and searching for a way out but the gate is closed and only the trainer can open it. The horse begins to soften and relax. He is growing accustomed to the trainers presence and feels safer around him because he doesn't attack or hurt him but instead is speaking soothing words. The horse lowers his head and opens and closes his mouth to show his submission. He's ready to cooperate. The trainer says, "whoa" and lets the horse stop and invites him closer. The horse follows willingly. The trainer introduces the saddle and bridle and explains that they are to be the horse's burden and guidance. The trainer places the saddle on the horse's back and the bit in his mouth. The horse thinks they're strange but decides that the trainer knows best. The trainer gets on and they begin their relationship. The trainer opens the gate and together they begin the journey towards his father's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...