Monday, August 24, 2009

Death, Loss, Life, Family, and Funerals

This week my grandmother passed away at the age of 89. Mrs. Glenda Eavenson lived her life well and although her mind wasn't always as good as used to be in the later years that I knew her I knew her as an active community centered woman who loved God. For her love of God I am thankful because I know that I will see her again in heaven and that as corny as it sounds she really is in a better place now. Dealing with the loss of a loved one is difficult and I will always miss her. Over the years I realized that I had a lot in common with her including 4-H. She was a county extension agent for many years and a life long teacher (including teaching the fifth grade). But even in the midst of death I have been able to glimpse new life. My grandmamma died on Thursday and my 7 year-old niece's birthday was Friday. My niece and nephew's birthday party was on Saturday and the funeral on Sunday. So I was able to celebrate two young lives and one finished life. I hate that the reason we all came together was to mourn the loss of life but getting to see the majority of my dad's side of the family was nice. One of the strangest things in life is the way we treat death. One of the wierdest things about death is the funeral. The funeral isn't so much for the dead but for those of us left behind. And even though it's for us we make it so that we're all as uncomfortable as possible and as awkward as all get out. I do admit that out of all the funerals I've ever attended my grandmother's was one of the best as far as funerals go. The service and the preaching were both very well done and nice. At my funeral I have a few requirements in order for you to attened. Those requirements will include: you cannot wear black. You must wear blue, pink, purple, yellow, orange, or green. Also, you must pick out only my favorite songs to play and not "funeral hymns" those songs could be Fireflies by Owl City, Automatic by Stellar Kart, and Comatose by Skillet. And most importantly... I want my funeral to take place before I die. You want to know why? Because everyone that you haven't seen in years show up once your dead. So, when I'm up there in years I'll call a pastor and a funeral director and I'll pretend that I'm dead and the pastor and funeral director will be in on it and they'll help me plan my funeral. Then everyone will show up and sit in the church all solemn like and I'll pop out of the casket, thank them all for coming, and explain why I'm not dead. Well, that is all I have to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...