Monday, August 17, 2009

The Zoopendous Surprise written by Boots Hensel and illustrated by Andrea Gabriel

The Zoopendous Surprise is a delightful book, sure to capture the imagination of any child. Boots Hensel, the author, is creative with her use of words but she makes it so that the words are easily understood by the children who are reading or being read to.
My nieces and nephew love the use of vibrant colors in the illustrations by Andrea Gabriel. The animals were lifelike enough that they really looked like good representatives of their real life counterparts but they are still animated and interesting for the children to look at.
What makes the book even better is that it is based on something that actually happened. It is written in loving memory of the author’s daughter, Courtney, who was the keeper and caregiver of the real live Mary and Ellen who live at the Little Rock Zoo. I’m not going to tell you the plot because it’s a surprise but you and your kids are sure to love it! It provides just enough suspense to keep even the youngest kids involved in the story.

2 comments:

  1. Beth, thank you for such a thorough review. I appreciate your opinion and your time. Great talking with you today.

    Best,
    Boots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview you! I was so nervous at first but you help me to overcome my nerves. I really enjoyed talking with you too! Thank you for your advice about writing and for sharing your story. I hope that we can stay in touch! Talk to you later.

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...